“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Joe the Plumber's website AND Book

Thanks to America Needs Sarah Palin for finding Joe's site, I've been meaning to look for it! Here's the link: http://www.secureourdream.com/index.html

Now for my comments on his site, Secure Our Dream.

I tried to sign up for updates. Either I'm blind or you can't do the free membership. When I clicked the link it took me to the page where they're selling his new book.

Yes, his new book. Fast, huh?

I don't begrudge him making a nickel, especially after his ordeal with the media. He was catapulted into the spotlight simply because he asked a question and someone caught it on tape. He's been trashed, investigated and he gave up much of his time to try and help John McCain and Sarah Palin get elected.

Unfortunately, the American people voted to redistribute wealth, bankrupt the coal industry and take away parental right of notification for children's abortions (among other things). They wanted change, they're going to get it shoved down their throats.

But I digress.

I understand that Joe's time in the limelight may be short and it's the American way to capitalize on those moments (if you're smart). However, somehow it tarnished his image just a teeny-tiny bit when I saw the quickly written and published book.

I want a selfless champion who does things for the good of the country, not one who does it for personal gain. True, those who do that are usually poor champions though and we rarely hear about them. We know Joe. He has become a symbol of the "real" America.

There are two levels of membership, one free and one that costs. The one that costs gets you access to chat with Joe and some other perks. You get into the "inner sanctum" for an annual fee.

Again, can't blame him as he's giving up his time, he's paying for the website and chances are he's had to hire someone or several someones to help out. But I still felt that twinge of doubt and I saw the pipe metal halo we've put on his head slip just a bit.

I'm reading motivation into the money angles that probably aren't there. I'm stereotyping, which is something I abhor. But obviously I still do it! It's completely unrealistic to expect someone to starve! The guys' life was turned completely upside down and his future has now gone off on a tangent he could never have envisioned. I know I'd probably be doing the same darned thing if I were in his position.

Still, as a good friend used to say, 'I'm going to have to be with this for a bit' before I correct the angle of his halo. In the meantime, I'm going to "assume" that he's raising money from the book so he can continue his new-found mission (see below). If so, that's highly admirable. I bet that's what he's doing, too. I need to sit down and have a talk with myself, don't I?

Joe's new non-profit organization is "Secure our Dream". Here are his comments, which I very much like:

It's About WE THE PEOPLE, Not WE THE GOVERNMENT . . .

The other day, I was contacted by 72-year old man who pleaded with me
to share his story with the media and politicians. He and his wife lost all of
their savings in the stock market recently. They worked all their lives for this
country and now they have nothing. Why? Because of corruption in Washington.
That man asked me, “What do I do now Joe?”

So, here’s my promise to Robert and the other Joes and Janes out there
who have been failed by their politicians. I have formed this organization to
bring together individuals who want to help others, while at the same time
ensuring our government keeps answering our tough questions.

With your help, we can stop the government and banks from taking
peoples' homes away. We can stop our elected officials from selling our children
into debt with our enemies. We can help each other far better and faster than
the government has ever been able to.

Slightly tarnished image or not, all I have to say is "Go Joe!!!" Live the American Dream. Thanks for trying to help during the election.

No comments: