“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Obama thinks I'm selfish...

Obama is saying (broadly speaking) that anyone who doesn't buy into his tax plan is selfish.

I beg to differ. No, I don't beg, I'm telling you Mr. Obama, you are SO wrong.

I give and I give mightily. I spend a lot of time helping local charities and sit on a number of working (and I mean working) Boards. I work my butt off in my business, too. I CHOOSE who I give to though, I don't need you or any government hack telling me who I need to give my hard earned money to. (and yes, I know you're not supposed to end a sentence in a preposition)

I would bet that my percentage of monetary giving makes yours look like a distant star in the universe, too. I don't earn money when I give like you did as a "community organizer". I give because I care and because I want to make the world a little bit better.

I don't want to give my money to people who won't get off their backsides and do an honest days labor. I don't want to support illegal aliens, deadbeat dads and those who bilk the system.

I want my money to go to those who truly can't help themselves and those who need a leg up so they can get back on track.

Do you really think that by taxing the so-called rich (those making over $120,000 was the last number I heard from your campaign) and giving it to those who haven't earned it that you'll be helping the world?

Here's what's going to happen to the "rich" folks who are supporting your government:

1. They're going to stop giving as much to charity.
2. They're going to increase the price of their products.
3. They're going to lay off workers.
4. They're going to cut benefits if it's allowed in your authoritarian government.
5. They're going to stop handing out bonuses and raises.

I'm not selfish. It's people like you who expect the government to do it all who are selfish. You wouldn't roll up your sleeves and do an honest days work to help someone unless it involved a photo op with the media.

I don't mind working and I believe in giving. I just don't believe in giving the government the right to choose where I give the dollars I work hard to earn. I do believe in paying my fair share of taxes to keep this great country working like it should. However, when you and your buddies in the Senate take my tax dollars and waste them, you're getting too much from me.

Maybe Martha Stewart had it partially right when she said we'd all have to learn to budget so we could give your government more taxes. She just needs to turn the phrase around to say that you and the rest of government need to learn to budget so you don't need as much from taxpayers.

No comments: