“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bracing Ourselves: America prepares for the worst, and Republicans suddenly seem serious.

Can you tell I'm catching up on some of my reading? This one is written by Peggy Noonan. Quite honestly, I've kinda gotten to the point where I don't particularly like her. She's made some observations when she's on some of the Sunday morning talk shows that raise the hairs on the back of my conservative neck... But, this is an interesting article as long as you don't imagine her reading it out loud... She's probably a great lady, but her voice triggers something in my brain that makes me cringe, probably a throwback to childhood or something I'm sure a shrink would have fun with.

Bracing Ourselves
All week the word I kept thinking of was "braced." America is braced, like people who are going fast and see a crash ahead. They know huge and historic challenges are here. They're not confident they can or will be met. Our most productive citizens are our most sophisticated, and our most sophisticated have the least faith in the ability of our institutions to face the future and get us through whole. They have the least faith because they work in them.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123388255500354969.html?mod=djemWMP

No comments: